Apple & Raisin Soda Buns
A spin on the easiest buttermilk bread. This is perfect with good mature cheddar, or eaten warm with butter.
- 125g plain flour
- 125g plain wholemeal flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 60g dried apple, cut into small pieces
- 60g raisins
50ml (65g) Hilltop Organic Blossom Honey
- 220ml (230g) natural yoghurt
- 30ml (2 tbsp) milk
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (180°C if you’re using a fan oven) and line a large oven tray with baking paper.
- Using a wooden spoon mix together all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together the wet ingredients in a smaller bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well until everything is evenly coated.
- Take handfuls of the mixture (it will be sticky so wet your hands to make it easier to handle) and shape into balls. Place on the baking tray leaving some space between them.
- Dust with flour and cut a deep cross into the top of each, going at least half way down the dough ball. (Don’t worry if they flatten a little as they will spread outwards in the oven.)
- Bake for around 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave on the baking tray for a few minutes, before transferring to a rack to cool.
- Best enjoyed warm, or the same day. Can be frozen for up to 1 month.