Five-Hour-Slow-Cooked Lamb Tacos
Warning… these five-hour-slow-cooked lamb tacos are not for the faint-hearted 🌶️🥵 Yes, they took about 6 hours in the making, but they were SO worth it! Highly recommend buying the lamb from your local butchers!
(credit to @healthy_olivia )
2tbsp ancho chilli.
1/2tsp habanero chilli.
1tbsp dried smoked chipotle.
3tbsp apple cider vinegar.
2tbsp tomato pure.
1tbsp Hilltop Hot Honey.
3 bay leaves.
5 garlic cloves.
1 white onion.
1 small handful fresh thyme.
3tbsp of Greek yoghurt.
- 1kg free-range lamb
- 600ml stock
- 3 small red onions
- 10+ tacos
For the meat:
Pre-heat your oven to 150°C (fan).
- Start by blending all of your spices in a mini chopper until it makes a smooth paste.
Add your lamb to a casserole dish, and smother in the spice blend. Season with salt and pep. Note: you can do this step a few hours in advance to infuse the flavours.
- Next pour over your stock, add your lid and cook for 5 hours. I checked on mine every hour and give it a little stir.
- Meanwhile, slice your red onions and sauté them in a pan with some oil.
- Remove your meat from the casserole dish with a slotted spoon and shred up in a bowl with two forks - it should fall apart easily. Make sure you save the sauce!
- Add your pulled lamb to the frying pan with your onions on a medium heat and pour over 1-2tbsp of the lamb sauce. Cook for 5-10 mins until some of it crisps up.
- Heat your tacos in a dry frying pan for a few seconds on each side. And you’re ready to serve.
- Dollop your meat straight onto your tacos, followed by guac, lamb sauce and slaw! Dunk in soured cream and enjoy!