Sesame Honey Bars (Greek Pasteli)
If you are looking for a super easy and healthy sweet snack, then this Greek honey sesame bars recipe (Pasteli) will become a family favourite! Pasteli is actually a Greek sesame candy which is the ancient version of a power bar. A snack made with only two ingredients, honey and sesame seeds, with no addition of sugar.
(credit to @yorkshire.foody )
220g Hilltop Heritage Welsh Blossom Honey (7.5 oz.)
- 220g sesame seeds (7.5 oz.)
A pinch of salt
Zest of 1 medium sized lemon
- Start by toasting the sesame seeds. Place a frying pan over medium-high heat and add the sesame seeds.
- Toast for 2-3 minutes until golden (You don't want them dark or burnt).
- Remove the sesame seeds from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan add the honey and bring to a boil, until it starts to foam. you can remove the foam using a spoon (be careful, this will be hot).
- Turn the heat to medium and simmer until the temperature has reached 125C.
- Add a pinch of salt and thesesame seeds and stir for 8-10 minutes over medium heat, using a wooden spoon until the mixture is thick and sticking to the spoon.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the lemon zest and stir.
- Line a 20cm baking tray with parchment paper and pour in the mixture.
- Spread it evenly using a spoon.
- Let it cool down for about 20 minutes and cut into portions. Cut it while it’s still warm.